Speed Dating with Scientists
The Friends of the John Innes Centre are holding a ‘Speed Dating with Scientists’ event on Tuesday 17th July at 18:15. This is the ideal opportunity to find out what goes on at the John Innes Centre, and to speak to our scientists and staff about what they do and why in a friendly relaxed atmosphere. Ask a student, post-doctoral researcher, project leader and research assistant what they get up to in their day job, what made them go into science, what their hopes and aspirations are for the future and get a feel for how science works. You will also be able to talk to people who work in the Support Services from the Directors Office and the Estates Team.
18:15 Doors Open
18:30 What is the John Innes Centre all about?
- Dr Steve Rawsthorne, Science Operations Manager
19:00 Split into groups for informal talks with:
- Ruth Bryant, PhD Student looking at how plants combat disease
- Dr Rachel Wells, a research assistant who works on brassicas
- Dr Xana Rebocho, a post-doc who looks at control of flower shape
- Professor Alison Smith, Head of Department who works on starch metabolism in plants
- Beccy Samworth, Head of Projects in the Estates Team
- Dr Carole Thomas, Head of Directorate
21:30 Coffee/tea and something sweet
Contact Dawn Barrett
Tel: 01603 255328 or